Help:Migrating an operation from the old CAAML-based InfoEx system to the new InfoEx system
This document describes how to migrate the locations from the old CAAML-based InfoEx system to the new InfoEx system.
Migrating an operation from the old CAAML-based system into the new InfoEx system is an involved process that requires great care to ensure that the historic observations are preserved as much as possible, so that InfoEx subscribers will have access to their historic observations through the new system. The complete migration process consists of the following steps:
- Extraction of historic observations from eXist database in CAAML 3.0.3 format.
- Extraction of 2012/13 location catalog from eXist database in CAAML 3.0.3 format.
- Listing of all locations of 2012/13 location catalog and counting of associated observations.
- If there is a mismatch between the total number of location references used in historic observations and the location references supported by the 2012/13 location catalog, retrieve all location IDs and names from historic observation files.
- Working with operator to resolve any issues in the existing location catalog (e.g., duplications of locations).
- Updating location references used in historic observations with updated location IDs.
- Updating location catalog (e.g., deleting of obsolete locations, changing of observation types, name changes).
- Working with operator to create required geometries for all the locations in the updated location catalog in KML format.
- Uploading of the updated location catalog in CAAML 3.0.3 format together with the associated geometries in KML format to the new system.
- Manually associating geometries to locations that were not automatically matched.
- Uploading any new locations to the system directly from KML files.
- Manually updating the hierarchy structure of the location tree.
Pascal Haegeli has developed a series of XSLT and R programs to automate the extraction and examination of the historic CAAML 3.0.3 format (steps 1 to 7). Steps 9 to 12, which involve the use of the Infoex application to upload the information to the system, ate described in CAAAdmin_OperationMigrateLoc_V00.2.docx (outdated!).
|1.||Contact Pascal Haegeli at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance when migrating an existing operation from the legacy InfoEx system into the new InfoEx system.|
- CAAAdmin_OperationMigrateLoc_V00.2.docx (outdated!)
Functionality tested by
- Jan 3, 2014: Pascal Haegeli