Advice for using InfoEx with weak internet connectivity
InfoEx works best with a reliable internet connection. Many functions can be performed offline too. Working with a weak, intermittent or overstretched internet connection can be a frustrating experience. The following work methods are recommended in these circumstances:
Functionality that requires an internet connection
The following list are things that should be done online either in the front-country with a strong internet connection or at a time you have the strongest internet connection you can get in your remote location. Consider other users of your network e.g. when guests are not using the network, or when fellow workers are in the field rather than online, and plan your online work when there is the least competition for your limited bandwidth.
- Sign in whilst online to ensure your location catalog and other essential information is cached
- Creating a new operation PWL via the Operation PWL menu. You cannot create a PWL when executing an offline workflow
Overview of a recommended workflow submission process
- If you need to create a PWL this must be done online prior to starting the workflow
- If you think you have a strong enough internet connection then start the workflow whilst online (this is only necessary if submissions for your operation may have been made from a different computer since you last submitted on your current computer)
- Go offline by disconnecting from your network or by clicking on Click to Work Offline in the top right corner of the InfoEx window
- Complete all modules in your workflow
- At the workflow summary screen if you believe you have a strong internet connection go back online and submit. Otherwise, click tosubmit whilst still offline.
- If you submitted whilst offline the next time you are signed in to InfoEx and there is an internet connection (this will be your current session if you go back online before closing InfoEx down) the workflow will be automatically submitted. A message will inform you of this. WARNING: If the internet connection is lost whilst this is being done, the workflow will not be submitted and you may lose the data. So you will want to manage this scenario carefully. CAA staff recognise this weakness and hope to implement improved uploading functionality as soon as possible - unfortunately, this is a highly complex situation to handle.
Complete lists of permissions for individual tasks
For the complete list of task that the different user levels can do, click on the following links: